Chemistry & Biochemistry
What’s Unique about chemistry and biochemistry at UNCG?
- UNCG’s program is one of only three biochemistry B.S. programs in North Carolina.
- Students who earn a B.S. chemistry degree are certified by the American Chemical Society as having completed rigorous requirements for undergraduate professional training.
- Students are encouraged to be involved in faculty research projects and students are frequently included as co-authors or presenters at national conferences for chemical research findings.
- Active faculty include two UNCG Alumni Teaching Excellence Award winners, four College of Arts and Sciences Teaching Excellence award winners, and one UNC Board of Governors Teaching Excellence Award winner; strong emphasis on teaching.
- Industry employees, teachers, and others participate in professional and pre-professional activities.
Academic clubs and organizations
- Skeptical Chemists Club (American Chemical Society Student Affiliates): organizes lectures and seminars for students and arranges social outings
- Environmental Awareness Foundation: a student club that promotes responsible scientific practices in order to maintain a healthy ecosystem
- Student research internships (contact the department for more information)
- Undergraduate jobs as lab assistants
- Undergraduate research assistant positions
- Chemistry/biochemistry internship course
UNCG graduates hold positions such as these:
- Assistant professor, University of Philippines, Diliman
- Certifying scientist, Ameritox, Greensboro, N.C.
- Laboratory manager, Mass Spectrometry Facility, North Carolina State University
- Staff Scientist in analytical sciences/metabolomics at the David H. Murdock Research Institute (DHMRI) in Kannapolis, N.C.
- Analytical/R&D lab manager for Qvape Juice, Raleigh, N.C.
- Faculty of chemistry at the National Autonomous University of Mexico
- Quality and regulatory safety associate with New Chapter Inc., a subsidiary of Procter & Gamble, Brattleboro, Vt.
- Assistant professor in the faculty of pharmacy at the Jordan University of Science and Technology in Irbid, Jordan.
Professional Organizations and Accreditation
- The American Chemical Society
B.A. Chemistry, B.S. Chemistry, B.S. Biochemistry, Pre-Pharmacy
M.S., M.S. with Concentration in Biochemistry, Ph.D. in Medicinal Biochemistry
Health & Wellness