What’s unique about Sociology at UNCG?
- Students receive hands-on advising from tenured faculty and adjunct faculty, thus receiving personal attention from the time they declare a sociology major.
- Faculty members add an international flavor to the department through studies in Cameroon, France, Germany, India, Italy, Mexico, Taiwan, and Russia.
Academic Clubs and Organizations
- Internships are available to sociology students who meet the department’s GPA requirement.
- Internships exist in a variety of public and private organizations. Interns have worked at a battered women’s shelter and the Guilford County Department of Public Health, and assisted the city of King, N.C., with installation of a new crime-mapping system.
- Honors courses and study abroad are available.
- Opportunities are available to complete research with faculty members.
Graduates work throughout the public and private sectors in sales and supervision, as officers of the court, counselors, human resource managers, market researchers, and public relations professionals. Specific career opportunities (some of which require advanced degrees, such as M.A., Ph.D., or J.D.) pursued by our graduates include:
- Producer for CNN in Atlanta
- Chief of staff to the governor of Vermont
- Attorney in domestic/family law for Cahoon & Swisher in Pleasant Garden, N.C.
- CEO/president for Sterling International Management Recruitment
- Associate vice chancellor at The University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- Vice president of operations for Greensboro Trade Coatings Inc.
- Residential counselor for Youth Opportunities Inc. in Winston-Salem, N.C.
- Marketing and grant preparation, Alcohol and Drug Rehabilitation Services
- Director of research, Family Medicine Department, Cone Health Care Systems
- Research associate, Center for Creative Leadership
- Federal probation officer
- Field organizer, Greenpeace USA
- Instructor, Guilford Technical Community College and Alamance Community College
- Associate professor, University of Toronto, University of Memphis, Florida State University
Some graduates (B.A. and M.A.) have pursued advanced degrees at institutions such as these:
- University of Maryland
- Purdue University
- The University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- University of Minnesota
- Indiana University
- Kent State University
- North Carolina State University
- University of Michigan
- Vanderbilt University
- University of Chicago
Professional Organizations and Accreditation
- Close affiliations with the American Sociological Association, the American Society of Criminology, and the Southern Sociological Society.
- Founder, North Carolina Sociological Society (provided organization’s first president and four others).
- Two faculty members have held the presidency of the Southern Sociological Society.
337 Graham Building
B.A., B.A. with a Concentration in Criminology
M.A., M.A. with a Concentration in Criminology, Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Teaching Sociology
Government & Politics
Language & Culture