Women’s & Gender Studies
What’s Unique about Women’s and Gender Studies at UNCG?
- Critical awareness: Women’s and Gender Studies provides educational experiences that lead students to become critical and independent thinkers who seek creative and ethical ways to enact their knowledge and inspire social transformation.
- Interdisciplinary program: Students have a great deal of freedom to design their own concentrations within the major, to take courses in multiple departments with WGS content, and to double major in other fields as well.
- Tradition of excellence: WGS is mindful of UNCG’s historical identity as the Women’s College (WC) of the University of North Carolina. Our programming includes efforts to maintain and revisit that history as we carry on WC’s tradition of fostering social awareness and intellectual and personal development.
Academic Clubs and Organizations
WGS faculty and staff support several student organizations on campus that have social justice and public education missions. Visit cap.uncg.edu/student-groups for a list of student organizations.
- WGS students have the opportunity to intern in local, national, and international venues. These experiences move students beyond the university, allowing them to enact and extend their knowledge and to facilitate change.
- WGS programming supports our curriculum and helps maintain a strong sense of community within the program. Through events and film showings throughout the year, WGS brings faculty and students together to discuss issues, events, and current trends in scholarship.
- WGS often sponsors and co-sponsors campus-based conferences, theatre productions, films, and speakers. With WGS programs across the nation, the department sponsors a yearly Love Your Body Week.
Graduates of our program have diverse careers, among them social justice, administration, the arts, business, education, health sciences, nonprofit management, media, politics and law, social work, psychology, human relations, sports and recreation, and sociology. Our MA students have been successful in doctoral programs; our certificate program is often combined with master’s and doctoral work in another area.
Professional Organizations and Accreditation
Women’s and Gender Studies faculty belong to the National Women’s Studies Association, the Southeastern Women’s Studies Association, the American Association of University Women, the American Studies Association, and numerous other scholarly organizations.
339 Curry Building
Women's and Gender Studies
M.A., Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Women’s and Gender Studies
Government & Politics
Health & Wellness