Center for Community-Engaged Design
The Center for Community-Engaged Design is an interdisciplinary research center that fosters community/university partnerships for meaningful research and design of the built and natural environments.Read More
Wade R. Brown, head of the Department of Music from 1912 to 1936. Dr. Brown made two major contributions to the arts of North Carolina: 1919, organized the annual State High School Music Contest, and 1927, working with Greensboro’s Euterpe Club, he organized the Civic Music Association.
UNCG’s Spitz Projector will project the stars, planets, Sun and Moon onto the interior of our 20-foot dome. It is operated, for the benefit of UNCG students and the Greensboro community, by UNCG’s Department of Physics and AstronomyRead More
Sullivan Science Building
The Sullivan Science Building is named in honor of Patricia A. Sullivan, chancellor from 1995 to 2008. She had previously been vice president for academic affairs and interim president of the Texas Woman’s University.
Chemistry and Biochemistry
The Curry Building is named in honor of Jabez Lamar Monroe Curry, who advocated for the establishment of the State Normal and Industrial School (now UNCG), in the early 1890s. He was also Executive Secretary of the Peabody Fund, which reestablished Southern schools after the Civil War.
The Moore Humanities and Research Administration building is named in honor of Beverly Cooper Moore and Irene Mitchell Moore. Beverly Cooper Moore served as president of the Greensboro Bar Association. Irene Mitchell Moore gave $2 million to UNCG through the Students First Campaign.
The Graham Building is named in honor of Frank Porter Graham, president of the University of North Carolina from 1932 to 1949. He later went on to become a U.S. Senator, a National Labor Relations Board negotiator and mediator for the United Nations.
The Petty Building is named in honor of Mary Macy Petty, head of the Chemistry Department from 1893 to 1934. Before coming to the State Normal and Industrial School (now UNCG), Petty had been a charter member of the Guilford College faculty in mathematics and Latin.
The Eberhart Building is named in honor of Bruce M. Eberhart, head of the Department of Biology from 1963 to 1979. Eberhart was previously an assistant professor at Princeton University. He contributed to the planning of the life sciences building – later named in his honor
The Ferguson Building is named in honor of James Sharbrough Ferguson, chancellor of the University from 1967 to 1979.
Gatewood Studio Arts Building
The Gatewood Studio Arts Building, designed by Hayes, Seay, Mattern & Mattern of Greensboro, North Carolina, was opened in 2006 and named for Maud Florence Gatewood. Gatewood graduated from the Woman’s College in 1954 and was a nationally known artist.
The biology department at UNCG has two greenhouse facilities. A teaching greenhouse is used for the housing and care of plants required for the multiple plant courses taught here at UNCG. The research greenhouse is used by multiple researchers to conduct experiments on various plant species along with the department’s beehives.Read More